Maintenance of your child’s jogger stroller is very important. But of course, if you use it regularly, wearand tear especially on the tires is unavoidable. If your child’s jogger has a flat tire, you have two options: repair it to save a buck, or avail a new set.
Repairing inner tubes is simple, but just going out and buying new ones is even easier. It is up to you if you are up to the challenge of repairs or if you would rather get new ones instead.
Simple tire repairs
A lot of times, the tire tubes on jogger strollers can be fixed. Before you go out and get yourself a new set of tube replacements, ask yourself first: Can it be fixed? Jogger tire tubes are a lot like the ones on your bicycle, so if you’ve ever made repairs to your bike’s tire tube, then you won’t have a problem fixing up your child’s jogger. Here are a few easy to follow steps to fixing the tire tube of your child’s jogger stroller:
- Step 1: Remove tire tube. Take the tire and remove the tire tube from within. Place the rim and tire in a safe place until you need it again.
- Step 2: Fill the tube with air. Next, take a basin large enough to submerge your inner tube and fill it with water. Then, fill the inner tube with air and submerge it in the water. Press on the inner tube and watch for bubbles. This will tell you where the damage is on the inner tube.
- Step 3: Mark the damaged spot/s. After determining where the damage is on the inner tube, dry it off and take a marker and put a circle on it so you know where to patch it up later on.
- Step 4: Patch up the hole. You can use a tire repair kit available at most bike shops, or you can DIY the repairs. To do this, get an old inner tube, and cut up a patch large enough to cover the hole.
- Step 5: Stick it on. Using some rubber cement, stick the patch over the hole and using a tool, make sure that the patch is latched on tightly to ensure there are no leaks. Now you must let it dry thoroughly.
- Step 6: Test out the tire. Now that the rubber cement has fully dried, take your bike bump and fill the inner tube with some air and squeeze. Observe the area for any air leakage. If there are none, it is now safe to put your jogger stroller’s wheel together again and it is now ready for more rides.
Brands to choose from
Is the inner tube damaged beyond repair? Keep it around as it may come useful when you need to make repairs in the future. The great thing about jogger strollers is that most generic inner tubes can fit it as it comes in regular bike sizes like 16” and 12”.
You can go to your local bike shop and order new ones. It is easy as that. But if you are looking for inner tubes specifically designed for jogger strollers, there are a few brands available like:
- Duro 16″ Stroller/Jogger Inner Tube. Available online, the Duro Bicycle Tube comes with a pair of 16” inner tubes and is guaranteed to fit most tires. It also comes with a free valve cap upon purchase.
- Bell Universal Inner Tubes. This is available in the full range of tire sizes from 4″ to 29″ tubes. Most popular jogging strollers has 12″ tires at the from and 16″ at the rear, so you will find a size for your stroller with the Bell Universal Inner Tubes. They are mold cured rubber that offer consistent side wall, so preventing high pressure .They are ideal for joggers that often go off road.
- 2 x Schwalbe Inner Tubes – 16 x 1.75. It is made from Airtight butyl rubber that requires less frequent inflation. The Skyspace valve caps and rubber sealing gives 3x more air retention over normal plastic caps. High grade butyl rubber is puncture resistant and gives better protection. If you ever have to replace the 16″ rear inner tube of your jogging stroller, do consider the Schwalbe brand of Inner tubes for stroller.
Recommended brand: BABY TREND EXPEDITION Inner Tubes 16″
Not satisfied with generic brands? Then go premium by getting the Baby Trend Expedition Inner Tubes. These tire tubes designed for jogger strollers and are guaranteed to last far longer when compared to other brands. But what sets it apart from the rest?
Designed for all types of strollers. The Baby Trend Expedition Inner Tubes are best used with strollers, joggers and even push chairs used to help kids with special needs.
Packs of two. Upon purchase, each Baby Trend Expedition pack comes with a pair of 16” inner tubes. This allows you to keep one as a spare. Stash it in your stroller’s storage basket just in case you need it when you’re out.
Puncture Resistant. These inner tubes were made to be abused; use it with your off road jogger strollers and enjoy off road rides with your child without fear of getting a flat tire.
Air tight design. The air tight design compliments the puncture resistant feature, by ensuring that once air goes inside, it does not leave.
SkyScape Valve Caps. Compared to regular plastic valve caps, SkyScape Valve Caps are 3x better at retaining air, making them more ideal.
Fixing a tire tube is easy, but if you need replacements, most generic brands from bicycle shops are good options, especially if you don’t want to shell out a lot of money just for inner tubes. But if you’re very particular about quality and durability, then getting brand name tire tubes like the Baby Trend Expedition Inner Tubes ensures that you get just what you pay for.