Families with young and older kids use glider boards for strollers as an exciting means of taking children to parks, shopping malls, quick errands together, and the Baby Jogger glider board extends these possibilities to how you use your stroller. While a younger child seats on the stroller, the older sibling can take a thrilling ride along while standing on the glider board.
Many parents would normally buy a double stroller when expecting an addition to the family. But if your older child is more than 2 years, and you have a single Baby Jogger stroller, a glider board adds the convenient and safe ride for two children on a single stroller, and at a fraction of the cost of buying a double baby stroller.
The Baby Jogger glider, though may fit other brands of stroller, it is not a universal glider board that is meant for use with other brands of strollers. It is specifically designed for the City and F.I.T series of strollers. Online reviews of the glider board fail to mention this, or did not make it clear enough for parents.
The ride-on boards is robust, and attaches safely to the rear axles of single or double Baby Jogger strollers. It will carry toddlers and infants weighing up to 45lbs (20kg). The telescopic brackets can be extended to give a taller child more room from the rear of the stroller, and this prevents them bumping against the stroller handlebar. The board folds easily, and is secured out of the way, against the frame of the stroller when not in use.
Using a Baby Jogger glider is like adding a kid’s toy to your stroller. They will hop on it, walk and play along side, and hop back on the board. I find it a very useful stroller accessory that keeps energetic kids excited and happy on family days out, on strolls around the neighbourhood, or trips to the shopping malls.
Other Features and Benefits of the Baby Jogger Glider Board
In my opinion, the glider board is probably one of the best accessories an older child will enjoy on a stroller. Infants and toddlers are particularly full of energy, and naturally like to explore their surrounding. They do not enjoy being strapped to the seat of a stroller for long periods.
The Baby Jogger glider board allows your child a wider view of the terrain, and greater interaction with you as you cruise with a stroller. Other features available on the glider board are:
Weight and Dimension of the Glider Board:
Weight: 6 pounds
Dimensions: 16.2″ x 12.9″ x 4.3″
Age and Child Weight Limits:
The glider board is recommended for children from 2 year and older, and not weighing more than 45 pounds or 20kg
As a safety precaution, there is a warning not to skate or run with the board attached to a stroller.
You can use the glider board with the following Baby Jogger strollers:
- City Mini
- City Mini 4 Wheel
- City Mini GT
- City Elite
- City Select
- City Vesta
It is also compatible with the following Baby Jogger jogging stroller:
- F.I.T Jogger
- Sturdy construction that is durable, and can be used in rough surfaces.
- Non slip platform, adjustable so it is horizontal to the ground, or inclined to the stroller for greater stability.
- It stows away easily to the rear of the stroller when not in use.
- Baby Jogger glider does not require attachments that are left permanent or semi permanent on the strollers, as you may find with other universal glider boards.
- The main issue parents have raised with the glider board, is the restriction to the length of your normal strides, especially for tall parents with long strides. The is however common with all rider boards for strollers. When in use, the position of a board at the rear of the stroller limits your pace to shorter steps, otherwise you will be striking your foot on the board.
- It is recommended only for the City and F.I.T range of Baby Jogger strollers, but some parents to their disappointment, have mistaken it for a universal rider board that can be used on any stroller.
The Baby Jogger glider board is a fun stroller accessory that will add additional carriage use to your stroller, and one that every kid will love. I can imagine them taking turn to hitch a ride on the board, as you push them around on family days out together.
Compared with the cost of buying a double stroller for two kids, a ride-on board for sibling is a cheap alternative, more convenient and entertaining way of going out with kids. Even when you decide to buy a double stroller, you will always find a need for the Baby Jogger glider board.
If your stroller is not a Baby Jogger, the Valco Baby Hitch Hiker Ride On Board is a universal glider that may suit your stroller.