Baby Jogger Summit XC had a good run but is now discontinued and replaced with the Summit X3 single and double jogging strollers. Links referring to Summit XC in this review have been updated, and will direct you to more information on Baby Jogger Summit X3 jogging strollers.
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller Black/GrayBaby Jogger Summit X3 Double Stroller Black/Gray
The Summit X3 is finally released, and is much improved over the popular Baby Jogger Summit XC all-terrain jogging stroller. It has all the great features available on the XC, plus significant enhancements that I think make the Summit X3 a true hybrid stroller/jogger that seamlessly transition from strolling to jogging without stopping.
As the 3rd generation Baby Jogger Summit, the X3 is priced at just $30 more than the version it is replacing, a good price point that parents will not mind to pay in order to get this 2013 upgrade version of the jogger. Summit X3 first release is the single jogging stroller, with Double version to follow in June 2013.
Baby Jogger has continued to improve the Summit model in every new release, and features introduced in the Baby Jogger Summit X3 will carry on the reputable of the Summit strollers as a no limits, no boundaries and go anywhere joggers.
Improved Features on Summit X3, and not Available on Summit XC
- For keen joggers, the most significant improvement on the Baby Jogger Summit X3 over the XC is the introduction of a remote swivel front wheel lock located on the handlebar that makes transition from strolling to jogging much easier. In the Summit XC, switching to a fixed front wheel for jogging would require you to stop, walk to the front and manual lock the wheel. This has completely changed in the Summit X3. Flipping a lever conveniently positioned within easy reach on the handlebar locks the front wheel remotely, and you simply increase your pace to jogging without stopping. Another flick of the lever releases the front wheel back to the swivel mode for walking and strolling.
- The baby weight limit for the Summit X3 remained the same as the XC at 75 lbs. The seat and retractable canopy has been redesigned so it is better suited for toddlers, pre-preschoolers, and tall or chubby kids. The seatback and foot rest on the X3 are extended and bigger, and the canopy height higher so children grow into the stroller a lot longer than in the previous version.
- The larger sun canopy on the Summit X3 now has two peek-a-boo windows with vented mesh panels for good air circulation for babies.
- Elegant, slim design of Baby Jogger Summit did not change, though improvements on the X3 gave it a narrower profile by about 1.5 inches, which makes it easier to manoeuvre for everyday use.
All the key features that made the summit very popular in earlier versions were retained in the latest upgrade model.
Common Features of the Summit X3 and the XC
- The patented quick-fold design that allows parents to fold a Summit jogger one handed in a single step is retained in the X3. Parents love this feature as it gives them the freedom to hold their baby with one hand, and fold, unfold, or carry a stroller with ease with the other hand.
- 12 inch front and 16 inch rear quick-release wheels with pneumatic tires that is suitable for smooth and rough terrains are still features of the X3 and XC.
- Universal mounting bracket for adding accessories to the stroller
- Rear parking brake to keep the stroller stationary when you come to a stop.
- Handlebar that is ergonomically designed with firm and wipe-clean grip
- Adjustable five-point safety harness with shoulder pads for secure, yet comfortable fit around a child.
- independent suspension on the wheels that makes the ride on a Summit Jogger exceptionally smooth for babies
- The undercarriage storage compartment with easy rear access is even more spacious on the X3
- High strength, light weight aluminium frame construction for durability parents have come to expect from a Baby Jogger Summit stroller did not change on both strollers.
The following are the 3 color patterns the Summit X3 single jogger is available for purchase. The Double stroller will be released in a combination of 2 different color patterns.
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller OrangeCheck Today’s Price
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller BlackCheck Today’s Price
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller GreenCheck Today’s Price
Other Specific Features of the Baby Jogger Summit X3
The Summit X3 single stroller is available in 3 combinations of hard wearing colors:
Black/Gray, Green/Gray and Orange/Gray
The Double Summit X3 when released will be available in 2 color patterns:
Black/Gray and Green/Gray; and the weight capacity of the X3 double stroller will be 100 lb
Baby Jogger Summit X3 vs XC Recommendation
The only additional feature I would have personally loved to see in this 2013 edition of the Baby Jogger Summit is an adjustable handlebar that would have made it easier for tall and short parents to adjust the push handle to a comfortable level that suits them. Though at 40.5 inches, the height of handlebar is at a level most parents will not have a problem pushing the stroller.
Overall, I like the improved features in the X3, particularly the seamless transition from strolling to jogging with the remote front wheel lock, and larger seat and canopy that will make it more comfortable for toddlers and preschoolers.
The XC is now discontinued by Baby Jogger, but the good news is that Summit X3 is priced only $30 more.
You may still find the Summit XC available to buy at much reduced prices, but the X3 performs better for jogging and running with the new features that are not available on the XC.
If you find this review helpful in deciding which jogging stroller to buy, please leave me a comment. I would also like to hear from you, if you like to know more about any of the features of the Summit X3, or XC.
Do you have a comparison of the BOB Revolution SE and the Baby Jogger Summit X3? Love your comparisons. Thank you.
Yvette hamilton says
Hello my name is yvette and i have the baby stoller summit x single stoller, and im wonder if there a way to getting an new harness part and would also like the book thats come with it. Please contact me back on how it could recive that, and all the information you would to get it.
Thanks you, look forward to hearing from you.
Jeff Adam says
I would suggest you contact the manufacturer Baby Jogger directly on how you can get a replacement safety harness. The parts are not common to buy from stores or online shops, and you want to be sure you are getting the real product for the safety of your child.
Click on this Baby jogger Contact to go their website contact page. You can either call their customer service number on the page, or fill out their contact form with your request.
I am assuming it is Baby Jogger Summit X3 that you have, and not the XC. You can download the instruction manual for Summit X3 by clicking this Summit x3 instruction manual
I hope you find the information helpful.
I just purchased a Baby Jogger City Micro Single Rain Canopy – PVC Free F.I.T. for my Summit XC. Will this fit the Summit X3?