Jogging or running with a newborn in a stroller is a safety concern for active moms who would like to quickly get back their fitness, this also applies to jogger dads with no baby sitter. Is there a jogging stroller for a newborn is the question many parents are asking. Many manufacturers of jogging strollers do not recommend jogging or running with a newborn without head and neck support for the baby, or until babies are old enough to hold and support their heads unaided.
Infant car seats provide the safe support for head and neck that baby require when riding in a jogging stroller. And manufacturers recommend using a baby jogger with compatible Infant Car Seat Adapter when jogging or strolling with a newborn. Infant car seats are highly regulated and have adequate support that hold a baby’s head in position, and impact protection that cushions a baby from the bumps over rough surfaces while jogging in a stroller.
BOB recommends a minimum age of 8 months for babies if you must go off road jogging with their strollers fitted with compatible infant car seat.
I have selected some of the popular car seat compatible jogging strollers you can fit an adapter and an Infant car seat, and be able to go on jogs in smooth terrains with your baby from birth.
And which is my Best Jogging Stroller for a Newborn?
The Bob Revolution Single Stroller is my #1 for jogging with newborns, and although it can be more expensive than other strollers, here are why it is my favorite.
- Has an optional Infant Car Seat Adapter that fits not only BOB Jogging strollers but other popular brands as well. The Adapter is has a secure semi permanent installation that folds with the stroller so you do not have to remove and re-attached every time it is required, and when used with an Infant car seat converts Bob Strollers into Travel Systems you can go out jogging with your baby from day one.
- The sturdy construction with light aluminium frame makes Bob Jogging Strollers light and easy to fold flat and put away for storage.
- I also love the fact that Bob Revolution Single Jogging has a baby weight capacity of 70 pound ensuring parents can use the same stroller from the birth of a baby till their infant years.
Essential Tips When Buying a Jogging Stroller for Newborns
With a newborn around, jogging is a new experience for Mums and Dads and some may not be able jog unless they have purchased a Jogging Stroller that is suitable for a baby. Here are my 5 top essential tips for picking a jogger that you and your baby will enjoy.
- The very first thing to check is that a jogging stroller of your choice can be fitted with an option Infant Car Seat Adapter on which to secure a Baby Car Seat.
- A good suspension system on a jogging stroller is absolutely important so a baby is cushioned on rough terrains or just pushing over bumps. Bob Revolution has a very good suspension system.
- Check the height of the handle bar and the level at which the Infant Car Seats fits on the Stroller. It should be at a comfortable height for you to view and smile at your baby while jogging!
- I would personally go for a Swivel Front Wheel Jogging Strollers. The front wheels can be locked on a good stroller to provide more stability on straight lines; and in the Swivel mode provides great maneuverability in tight city roads and sidewalks.
- I would also go for a jogging stroller that that is sturdy, easy to fold, compact, and is light weight. With a newborn to look after and other baby stuffs to carry, you wouldn’t want to add lugging around a bulky jogging stroller.
The Bob Revolution Jogging Stroller has all these essential features for jogging with a newborn, but if you find it pricey, you may want to close alternatives line the Baby Jogger Summit XC and Joovy Zoom 360 jogging strollers.